Bah, ché pas moi. J'ai rien pigé. J'en sais rien.
That means, "Uhh, I don't know. I didn't understand anything. I don't know anything about that." I literally hear these words a million times a day. A million. Maybe more. Today, for example, I had to go around in C's class and ask each group, "Love is blind. What do you think about that? Do you agree or disagree?" Bah, j'en sais rien. Thanks French kiddies.
It's not like I want them to give me a novel or a doctoral dissertation. I'm not asking them to cut off their hands and write the answer in their blood. And I get that you really don't care about English discussion hour. But, I'm required to ask you this question. And you are required to answer it. So please, you are 18 years old: answer my question. And if you really don't know, tell me that in English.
It's not that today has been very frustrating; this is quite normal (and certainly not blogworthy) and normally I would just pass it off as l'habitude, but today I just... couldn't. There were a few students who absolutely refused to answer my questions, who wouldn't even look at me. I have come all the way from America to talk to you. Yes, you. You are my job, you are the reason I am here. Today, I just gave up. If, in a group of 5, there were two people willing to talk to me, I just talked to them. They are lucky; they get to practice speaking with a native speaker who is basically their age. What I wouldn't have given to have a French 22 year old come and talk to my high school French classes.
This is not to say that all of my students are like this. No. In fact, I have some pretty darn incredible students. Students who go out of their way to speak in English or ask me very curiously how this expression or other translates into English. People who might be a little terrible at the language (we all were once, right?) who still try to put words together and most often succeed. That's nice.
Actually, today, I had a wonderful experience. I have this stupid 4 hour break in between my first two hours of class and my last two hours of class. Enough to go home if I want (I'd be home for about 2 3/4 hours) but not long enough to really en profiter. So today, I decided to make the most of my time and go to the bank and the grocery store (all non-perishables, bien sûr) and then come back to the school and eat my lunch that I brought. And on my way back to school, I ran into just about every single one of my students. "'ello!" said every single one of them. They were pretty cute, and I felt like quite the popular teacher.
Oh, one petite story: in one class, the students had to write a love poem that began with the line "If I were in love, I would..." And one poem had a line that said, "If I were in love, I would love you like a fly loves poo." BRILLIANT. You'd never know I hadn't written it myself...!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is one good line.
ReplyDeleteSomeday I may steal that line...:) brilliant! And you're teaching...you may be ready for Circle!!Funny how students sometimes won't look at you and sometimes you can't break through. But still you are teaching, no? People are funny that way...love you, bien sur!
ReplyDeleteAh, the joy and heartbreak of teaching! Some days it's inspiring, other days it's maddening. Sounds like you handled it well, though--making an effort with everyone, but then focusing on those who really wanted your help.
ReplyDeleteOh man, they still say "ello" in high school. I'm working hard in primaire to break that habit!
ReplyDeleteBon courage!
I'm going to have to send that line to my boyfriend!
ReplyDeleteUgh, I have classes like that... Today I played one lass "Wishlist" by Pearl Jam, they filled in some gaps, then did a vocab matching exercise based on the lyrics, then they had to say their wishes. (Ok, I'm biased, but a fairly balanced/entertaining lesson, right??) What did I get? "I don't 'av weesh, mees" again and again... C'mon! They are definitely my worst class!
ReplyDeleteIt's too bad that some of them aren't even trying to answer, but I kind of love that they say "Bah" instead of "Uhhh." More Americans should say "Bah."
ReplyDelete